PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T status in KL FIR
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2006, 05:25
veloo maniam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLIA RWY Upgrading works

Hi Flightleader n all else....Nothing concrete has been decided with regards to the upgrading works for KUL Rwy up till now. News is that the anticipated arrival is not expected until the end of the 1st quarter of 2007(Probably awaiting SIA's A380). As more info pours in, I will flood the website.
On another note, there was an incident early April whereby a MH A330 went thru the level of a Cathay. Both were inbound from Taxul. MH requested for descent clearence from FL400. Controller instructed acft to descend to FL390 when ready. Acft descended to FL290. Cathay was at FL380. Apparantly pilot readback FL290 which the ATCer did not catch. What I would like to know is how could an acft descend to FL290 when he is aware that there is another acft at FL380 below him and is close by(less than 10NM). How could 2 pilots and one ATCer allow this to happen? I am not blaming anyone here but I am looking into the possibility of an instruction that has been misinterpreted i.e FL390 and FL290.Frequency 132.6 was busy at that moment.Could it have been that a pilot would have believed that it has to be FL290(why would the ATCer want to descend me just a thousand feet). How did the cockpit crew decided upon this decision.As an OJT coach, I am finding ways where such recurrences be avoided by both ATC n Cockpit crew. Inputs are most appreciated.