PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HASELL
Thread: HASELL
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:19
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am assuming that someone as ham fisted as could be imagined, shouldn't be anywhere near an aircraft and certainly wouldn't be stting their PPL test.

Height- anyone as incompetent enough as to stall out of a steep turn shouldn't be allowed to fly solo, same for spiral dive recognition and recovery. If you are going to be pushing the machine into max. rate and "nibbling the buffet" then this should be treated as an SSAT exercise and flown as such.

Airframe- whilst flaps will often decrease the allowable load factor on an aircraft, they usually don't do it to the extent where a steep turn should cause any problems, even a 60 deg AoB only has a load factor of 2. As to someone forgetting to put flaps up after a slow flight practise, see my point about height!

Engine- Hopefully you are monitoring the engine properly as part of your routine flying, why do you need any special checks? The engine isn't being put under any undue stress in a steep turn.

Lookout- Again, you should be doing this as per usual, common sense dictates you do what you feel comfortable, but I personally don't think anything out of the ordinary needs to be done. (Nor do any other FI's or Examiners I've ever worked with.)

Location- Again basic airmanship dictates your points already. Don't annoy the neighbours!

Seperate checks aren't necessary since as a competent pilot you should be doing all of this already.

If you want to do a HASELL, then go ahead, I think it's unneccessary however.