PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operations into Dubai - can they be improved?
Old 2nd May 2006, 07:17
Ali Bin Somewhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mack sorry if i was misunderstood. i wasn't alluding that we have to favour anyone. slot times h24 would be great otherwise yes slot times in peak periods would work.

as far as the smaller operators/freighters go they, like the mojors, have reasons they need to arrive in dubai when they do. a slot time for everyone would alieviate alot of the probs. then the mojors wouldn't have to wait for the connecting pax/freight off the minors and all would (hopefully) be happy.

here is another one that has been suggested both here and in the center. seperate arrivials for either dubai/shj or jets/props. as always there would be problems with this as well.

one of the big probs we have now and will always have untill there is some form of enroute flow/slot time is this. 5+ a/c turn up at amoli within 10nm all asking for decent. we need to have 5nm between a/c for decent so that means find 15nm then we have to hand off to dubai 10/20nm. do the math. slot times would solve this. 2/3/4min depending on rwy etc at amoil means unrestricted decent with agreed speed and height requirements along the star.

as everyone else has said(including me) it works elsewhere so why not here?

well 2 reasons i can think of are
1)owner of dubai airport has decreed that its open skies with no restrictions on arrival/depature times and he has final say in the way things are run at his airport.

2)there are alot of operators here who are average at best. at the risk of opeing up a can of worms, as was posted on another thread, in heathrow they allow an extra nm when EK are taking off/landing due to their "flying tecniques". yes there are some great pilots who fly for emirates and other airlinesbut consider this. EK are supposed to be the best in the region and there are something like 100+ other operators who fly here so if heathrow allow 1nm for EK how many min do we allow in a slot time for the various operators here?

oh well slot times would be nice though... we live in hope