PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HASELL
Thread: HASELL
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2006, 22:09
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I mention before, the point of the excercise is collision avoidance, so checks are not appropriate in this one instance.

How are you more likely to collide with someone in a 45 deg. AoB compared with a 30 deg. AoB turn?

You aren't going anywhere you haven't already looked at, unlike a stalling or aero's sortie where your lookout can be severely degraded compared to normal, despite the best of intentions.
HASELL checks are of course necessary for other manouevers, but are contrary to the point of this excercise.

One last point, just because you perform a HASELL check, it doesn't totally ensure that there is no conflicting traffic, with the closing speeds of a/c and the limited nature of human eyesight a check that happened more than a couple of minutes before can be meaningless.
I am of course assuming that everyone is dilligent in their lookout at all times, as I expect my students to be. (Having had more than one encounter with other machines, I do realise how even a "big sky" can seem very small sometimes.)

A "steep" turn shouldn't ever get near the stall, however I like people to go to max. rate and actually reach the buffet and beyond, so that they can get an understanding of how their machine reacts in (relative) security, just in case it happens for real. I wouldn't however expect someone to demonstrate this on a test unless specifically asked for.

Fuji, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want an instructor to ask you to perform an instantaneous turn, anyone who can't perform this minor task needs to do some practice!