PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operations into Dubai - can they be improved?
Old 1st May 2006, 19:20
Outta Heresoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can add my 2 Dhs worth...(5 Dhs with inflation!)

I've seen stellar controlling and I've seen pilots that can manage drag and desent profiles to leave all the non-believers in awe. Considering neither knew squat about the other, to see how a good mesh between them works and brings a virtually constant descent to fruition will bring a tear to your eye. Unfortunately I've also sat on the edge of my seat watching how little understanding of either becomes apparent from pilots I've flown with, and the demonstrated lack of forethought from the other side of the radio that there seems to be no right or wrong.

In support of the arrivals sector about comments from others here, with LHR controllers there are fewer "windows" of altitude and speed on published arrival procedures. Unless there is no traffic and ATC waives some of the restrictions, he knows you will be "here" at this "specific altitude" doing "this speed" without question. You will enter the published hold at the regulated speed. Then it's just a matter of breaking you off the hold and issuing minimal vectors to final, to comply with the tower's spacing requirements. It's the design of the system, not so much the ability of the individual controllers (although they are good!). As has been stated on other threads on the forum, we as pilots are just as quilty of non compliance of "instructions" (note the difference as to ""requests") that throws the "good" controllers for a loop. I also believe there are individuals on the ground here that are struggling with the concept and implementation of the "efficient" side of ATC. Perhaps just through sheer inexperience. The region is not famous for providing a sound "package" anylonger for anyone, so the idea of "skimming the cream off the top" is laughable on both fronts.(they do manage a few golden ones on occaision though. All come here for different reasons).

In many of the airports I have flown to all over the world I find generally the most limiting item in the equation is the regulations the controllers have to follow, with perhaps a smidgon of the controllers lack of appreciation for what the latest generation of aircraft are capable of and the pilot's inability to manage it properly.
Having done a tour of several ATC centers in a couple major traffic zones (and here in DXB too ) I've seen there are always two sides of the story with neither party in hand of all the details of the other.

As you can gather I'm well in support of mutual "Fam" experiences from both sides. It doesn't take much to enlighten either party. Can't speak from ATCO's here but assuming your being squeezed as much as we are (hey it's 2006 in the ME, what's new of late?) you've probably got way better things to do with your very little precious time off than to take a trip again to the airport.
Perhaps the company could give us 2-3 hours "credit" for the experience...
...don't get me going on that "cost neutral" issue. I'd be typing here all night.
...resume's to other carriers that is...