PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operations into Dubai - can they be improved?
Old 1st May 2006, 14:46
turtleneck

having once been on the other end of the mike, i can consent with both sides. what i see as a big
contributing factor to our problem, is performance differences both in airborne equipment aswell as
in proficiency of it's riders.
the appearence of the flying nintendos had its benefits but also its setbacks. almost all nintendo
trained pilots do (and some can) only fly in managed or open modes. this leads to very inconsistent
flight paths once atc guidance sets in. i have seen anything from 180 to 290kts with 300 to 4000fpm
in tma's and some don't care to fly constant horizontal or vertical speeds during somewhat stricter
atc vectoring and speed control. this screws up sequencing and even leads to ra's. it's not necessary,
even a A330 can do nice continuous descent approaches on a 3deg GP, it just needs a little skill
and training. maybe there's the catch...........
furthermore, in slight disagreement with ansa, i think some aircraft should not operate into airspace
like dxb/sha, at least not at peak hours. it's about performance: there should be a minimum performance
in climb/descent rate and speed, so as not to hold up traffic. but this would be gcaa's playing ground,
there goes the catch again............