PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 30th Apr 2006, 15:35
sgrookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I was trained in Australia, I guess I can only give comments about flying in Australia, so here goes...

Employment in Australia is generally not possible unless you're a PR there. With respect to most Singaporean's skills, we will be 5 points short of getting a PR as being a commercial pilot counts as a skill BUT if you're willing to move to the smaller towns/cities, the requirements for PR is less stringent.

If you plan to move out of the 5 major cities, namely; Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide, there will be other small cities like Broome, Darwin (?) or even Tamworth for that matter who might get you a job. Its hard to find a good job with good pay, fair enough but as long as you don't mind what you're flying you'll find work. That much is certain & I've heard rumours (?) that MFA once wanted to hire an Australian instructor so... it might be a lead. I have a coursemate who completed his IR & is now flying the Cessna 207. Its not much but at least its a start if you know what I mean. Beggars can't really be choosers, I suppose.

Following are rumours & stuff I've heard from the GA side in Australia. True or not? I can't confirm it so if you're really interested, do check it up on them & talk to people. Some of the jobs won't be advertised online.

On the Indian side, if you have an Indian PR or citizenship, you might be able to seek employment from the Indian airliners as they're in shortage of pilots right now. Just some twin hours might get you the job, but I won't really bet on it though.

Employment from China. Go look it up. The major airliners are recruiting fully qualified FOs & Captains but within the next 5-10 years, the GA in China seems to be opening up as they're seeking the help of FAA to assist them in their airspace re-structuring. I think I read the latter somewhere in a magazine, not sure if its FAA or CAA though...

Notice that I mentioned GA most of the time? Well, unless you're in a cadet program, else chances of an airline giving a pilot with less than 1,500 hours flying time to be in the right hand seat will be like a god-send. So, build up the hours & work hard! This route is a really, really tough route so if there are even any doubts that you can withstand this lifestyle, I advise you not to go for your license. Heaps of self-sacrifice is involved here... not to mention the big hole you'll have in your pocket.