PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomsonfly B767-200- The most uncomfortable airline??
Old 30th Apr 2006, 08:57
WHBM

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts
I can agree with both the above comments.

Yes I know seat spec is down to the customer and not necessarily connected to the airframe manufacturer. And yet there does seem to be a pattern, particularly on widebodies, that Airbus seats are not as good as Boeing ones in the same fleet and same class.

I first noticed this some years ago on Cathay Pacific when using their B744s and A343s on long-haul in Y. The seats appeared less well upholstered, and the seat supporting structures were less convenient and more obstructing for those seated in the row behind.

Narrowbody Airbus should be better as the fuselage has the extra 6" internal cross-section, translated into an extra 1" per seat, but again I find I don't notice that, and when on regular trips recently I compared Aer Lingus A320s with the last of their 737s, the 737 actually seemed to have better seats. Also notable was their older A320s in Y had better seats than the latest one-class ones.

Is it just that Boeings in a fleet tend to be older, when better standards applied at manufacture ? Or do Airbus seats tend to come from European manufacturers like Sigma and are not as well done as the Boeing default from US manufacturers.