PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 29th Apr 2006, 13:59
9M-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrookie
Hmm... I have an Australian CPL but apparently its not recognised in CAAS eyes. Anyway, I've flown in Australia & tried to sign up for SIA. I succeeded. However, I guess like so many other people in the thread, if SIA didn't employ me, all is not lost. Just try to get a job flying as a Flight Instructor. I guess for Australia, I can probably get employment in the smaller towns, but not in the 5 major cities where GAAP aerodromes are as its pretty over-saturated with pilots. I've read somewhere in this forum that MFA tried to hire an Australian instructor? I'm not sure but I believe that if one really wants to fly, where one fly doesn't really matter as the job will take one all over the place anyway. That was my resolution when I first took the self-sponsored course. I didn't really contribute the story earlier as I know that I'm really lucky as I need not go through the extreme hard work & sacrifice that other countries' pilots put themselves to.
Sigh...talking about caas really saddens me. You can get the highest qualifications in flying but if u r not employed by any air operator in singapore, caas will not convert your license. And when u go to the air operator and tell them this problem, they will say they can give u an interview, hire you "BUT" ....u must have a caas license FIRST. What a nice combination of cat and mouse game they are playing So for anyone who are thinking of getting an oversea license, think again before taking the plunge.

Anyway just for some people's information, if u really want caas to recognise your license after u return from oversea without having to get employed by an air operator first, check out Massey University in New Zealand. They have a MOU with caas Cheers!