PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drawing a nice circuit into the FMS.
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2006, 10:55
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Drawing a nice circuit into the FMS.

Is it really true that some airline pilots actually "draw" a circuit on the MAP mode, with bearings and distances depicting turning downwind, base and final and inserting speeds and heights to suit? Then turn to the admiring PNF and say "Wotcha think of that No 2?" And No 2 either shrugs his shoulders and sez whatever turns you on Cappie, or looking to future promotion, applaudes the artist with "oh well done my Kapitan - it's beautiful.

Pity then about the Picasso of the FMS who spent the whole descent lovingly caressing a right hand circuit into the MAP complete with ETA's as well. Unfortunately it should have been a normal left circuit. Easy fixed sez the Maestro of the MAP we'll simply fly a right circuit on Vnav and LNav - there ain't anyone around to see us...And he did, too.

I know MAP displays are magic - situational awareness and all that jazz, but what is it about the FMS in big jets that compels the addicts to flash the digits over the CDU from flaps up to short final? Was this addiction to pressing the computer keys envisaged by the designers of these marvellous electronic wonders. Is it just boredom that compels pilots to draw pretty things on their computer screens or idly play with all the different buttons on the CDU like a teenager channel flicking a TV?

Does anyone ever put their hands on the thrust levers and control wheels and actually fly the aeroplane into the circuit without the aid (?) of a kaleidoscope of rabbits feet trails, green dashes, fixes and waypoints, dotted circles and of course the magic magenta yellow brick road on the MAP? And all for what? Is it the feeling of wonder as the aircraft gently slides into the circuit on autopilot and it's all your own work?

One FCTM has this to say about the automatics and I presume this must include CDU entries: Varied levels of automation are available. The pilot decides what level of automation to use to achieve these goals by selecting the level that provides the best increase in safety and reduced workload. Spending time in a descent drawing a circuit to land certainly doesn't seem like reducing workload to me. Unless you are a computer screen addict of course.