PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9 survive Caravan C208B crash landing in N. Tanzania
Old 27th Apr 2006, 14:11
kotakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done.

I gather the ITCZ is having an 'active' year this time as it passes through East Africa . Pleased to hear of the rain because , my God they need it , but it is the time when the 'easy' days of blissful flying in Tanzania/Kenya/Uganda are replaced by ' I'd gladly give all the money back today so that I can mow the lawn / have a beer / watch a DVD instead ' days which we all remember so well. My days of flying Tanzania/Kenya were before the time of GPS , and we buried a few friends who tried to ' maintain VMC ' when it patently was not going to be possible. Job pressures were great at the time , but there were so many fatals in a short period that finally even the 'bwanas' had outbreaks of being sensible and turning back became much more common and safety took precedence.
Not sure about the 400 km diversion , but 2-300 were common to find a gap in the wall that is the ITCZ.
Unless you have flown out there , it is hard to comprehend the terrain/ high MSA's which are difficult enough on sunny days , but impossible on ITCZ days.
The Caravan incident should be treated with more respect than some offer in this forum. Try landing on a red-earth airstrip which has received a couple of inches of rain ( they all have so don't just say divert ) with an adjacent CB and its gusty winds , a fuel gauge that is glaring at you , and then lets hear your opinion.
I say well done to the man and if he is an MAF operator -extra respect - they earn it in spades all year round.