PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAE FIR RVSM...shall we say... ISSUES!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2006, 12:59
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANSA,

5 or 6 pushdowns a day wouldn't be a success in my eyes. I talked to a SVA pilot the other day who calculated that the extra fuel burn would be between 2-3 tonnes. Not just punishment, but environmental damage as well.

Your desire to have better flight planning is shared by us all, don't worry, but your expectation is a very Western one when you consider, as has been indicated by some, just from where and by whom FPLs are sent. An airline can do everything correctly and the FPL still won't get transmitted to the correct units in a timely fashion if at all. As frustrating as it is, we get just as many incorrectly filed plans as you, yet we deal with those issues in a manner in which no extra workload is incurred. We don't have the admin staff to investigate each and every occurrence but we do send the occasional threatening letter to those who should know better.

Unfortunately, the stance your authority takes doesn't address the problem of units and countries that don't enjoy the financial and human resources that the Gulf countries enjoy. It would be wonderful if a bit of grace were extended to all and sundry until the actual cause of a lost FPL is found, rather than using this misguided notion of punishment to bring about change, which doesn't seem to be going down a treat with any of our posting piloting brethren.

Cat

Our assistants, who handle incoming FPLs work on the principle that the last received FPL is the valid one. It doesn't always work because of the disorganisation that one sees in some operations depts or briefing offices, but it's not a bad working theory.

And I'll have to beg to differ about the RNP issue. It wasn't so long ago that I had a certain Tupolev operator who was 160NM, I say again, 160NM off track on his way to SHJ. This in RNP5 airspace. That was investigated and the crew suspended for a few months, or so we were told.