PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2006, 22:29
Raven30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr A Tis,
Understand the frustration at having to hold for 20 mins, but equipment failure is unavoidable, and hardly the fault of Newquay, as RAF St Mawgan provide all airfield and nav aids. I'm sure that holding while waiting for the kit to come back up is preferable to making an approach in what was very poor weather, with no approach aid. Safety first...
As for your other comments on the terminal, can't really comment other than to say that whilst the situation needs to improve as regards passenger handling, the staff have an unenviable task, and like most operations run on a tight budget, there are going to be problems at peak times. Not an excuse, and I'm no expert on their ops but the problem as I see it is one of financial constraints. They are still not geared up to handle multiple arrivals and departures efficiently.

Phileas,
In an ideal world, a new centrally located airport would be a sound plan, however we do not live in an ideal world, and working with what is physically and financially available is the next best thing. On that basis, you have to adapt existing assets. The hangars south side would be ideal for a cargo operation, or even as a displaced servicing location for Air SouthWest, for example. I have no idea what is planned for future development, but if I were asked, then I would suggest relocating the passenger operations south side. This would provide the co-location you mention, and improve the road access. All these points will be decided by someone much higher up the food chain than me, so my musings are just that!! Until the MOD relinquishes control of the real estate, then this is all conjecture anyway.

Raven