PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do I have to say "heavy"??
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2006, 22:23
Charly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why do I have to say "heavy"??

Hello Community!

Returning from my San Francisco flight with my 744 following thought: Why do I have to tell the Americans that i am heavy every single transmission, while the Canadians are interested in that fact only on initial contact, and then, on the Europeans Side of the Atlantic the controlers aren't really keen on conferming that fact with me.... Well, i guess they just look at their atc-Stripe lying in front of them?

Ok, lets just take my arrival into US Airspace the other day: i had to say "heavy" (otherwise it's "against the LAW!!")... Well... i am not that heavy anymore!! We weighed around 260 t, and with that, we can easely climb out a lot of heavely loaded twin engines in that airspace.

From my A320 years i can remember taking a lot of time climbing from FL 340 to FL 350 with an A321 fully loaded. In comparison the 747 happily jumps from one level to the higher one! Even when we just departed for a long haul flight.

Let's take sequencing upon departure & arrival:
that would actualy make sence, but only in this portion of flight! To inform the controller (who probably already knows) and everybody else around you that you are "heavy".

I believe, we can abolish that call out!

Last edited by Charly; 27th Apr 2006 at 00:11.