PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling
Thread: Stalling
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2006, 03:16
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
What would happen? Very little actually. The aircraft's prop rotated the other way and it only had 145HP. (if I mention it's a taildragger - that should tell you what it was!)

If you moved the control column centrally forward until the buffet stoped and simultaneously applying full power while preventing further yaw with rudder, and only when the wings were unstalled (i.e. no buffet present) level the wings with aileron and then pitch to the level attitude there was no problem. This is the standard stall recovery tought by that organisation which is the same throughout the world - more or less. And if the prop had been rotaing the other way, the torque reaction would have made very little difference to the amount of roll at the stall.

For anyone also reading this, wing drop at stall is not usually a problem. It may be alarming, however, you must not attempt to correct it until the wing is unstalled. Any attempt to correct it while you still have buffet, with ailerons or with rudder will probably delay the recovery or initiate a spin. I emphasise again that ailerons should only be used once the wings are unstalled.

There is little chance a 145HP engine is going to rotate the airframe around the prop at the stall. Prop slipstream will have more of an effect and this should be easily controllable with the rudder. The most powerful prop aircraft I have instructed on had a 1200hp engine and there was no 'torque' problems with this type either.

The airframe I mentioned was a bit of a rogue. The rigging had been checked on numerous occaisions but the wing still dropped. (This type typically had a 30 degree wing drop anyway). We tried to avoid using this airframe for the early exercises as the roll at the stalll would be alarming. But it was ideal for more advanced students. The instinct would be to apply aileron, the downgoing wing would have it's angle of attack increased, the stall on this wing would deepen and this aircraft would autorotate. A useful learning exercise, bearing in mind this was a military school and the students would be flying aircraft with much less benign handling than the Chipmunk later in their career (Ooops, gave it away!).

I see from your profile that you fly taildraggers from Sydney. Are you also Happyjack260?