PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US pilot salaries . . . portend of things to come?
Old 26th Apr 2006, 02:09
funbags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qfcainer
well mr blown seal, i do in fact work for qantas, my wage is $20/hour, and that is very typical of alot of people in the business unit i work in.
so yeah, if he does cut my pay, i'll go and stack shelves at coles, more money, safer, less dirty.
$120 hr looks pretty good from down here i tell you that much.
Gday QF Cainer

Your wage (assuming you're ground staff) and the pilots are worked out quite differently. You're paid the $20/hr all day everyday ie 9-5 or whatever your shift is, Monday through Friday.
They are paid only when they go to work eg Tuesday to Thursday on a 3 day trip, and only while they are flying (plus a little before and after).
Hence the difference in the rates of pay. Two totally different jobs and hence two totally different pay calculations. Its not all about the amount per hour but how it makes up your total salary.

There are also differences between Domestic and International Pilots and how they are paid. Domestic are on more per flying hour but because of the way the pays are calculated (credited hours vs stick etc), earn less as a total salary in general.

There you go - clear as mud !!