PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe MAPS
Thread: Flybe MAPS
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2006, 20:11
LD Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by A38lephant
[B]You are offered a place on a specific training scheme, (not employment)which increases your chances of an offer of a job.
Hence you will not be "employed" nor an "employee" until there is a job offer made and accepted. This would make this wording difficult to enforce for schemes such as Flybe/CTC.
My interpretation would be that "work related training" refers to those already employed - i.e not selecting a person because they are older for further type rating training. Being neither a lawyer nor a pilot I'm only giving my interpretation. Its an interesting debate though!
A common misconception is that anti-discrimination legislation applies from the moment of employment onwards. It does not. It applies equally to the entire employment process, including recruitment, training, promotion, retention, retirement and dismissal. It is about giving equally qualified and skilled people, equal opportunities in work for equal pay and conditions - and affording all people the right to obtain work and develop their career on their own merits in fair competition with their peers.

In short... finding the best person for the job.

I'm glad you find it an interesting debate. I thought so too, because we know that this "ideal" doesn't happen in so many areas already - not just in relation to age. This is why strong Unions are so important. We need to debate these issues and raise the profile of equality in this industry.

Regards,

LD Max