PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe MAPS
Thread: Flybe MAPS
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2006, 19:58
LD Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So which CTC partner airline would you sue for discrimination?
I started this thread on the premise that the Flybe MAP scheme may soon be illegal. It is merely representative of other schemes which, as you rightly point out, are operated by CTC on behalf of other partner airlines. There are many others also.

I would have thought that the basis of any case must be specifically to do with an individual's eligibility to enrol in a particular scheme on the basis of an advertised employment opportunity. Are the entry conditions discriminatory?

For example: "Clean Shaven Pilots only need apply", would most likely breach the race and religious discrimination act.

On this basis the scheme operators would be liable... and IMHO this would place joint liability on both the training providers and the employers, (and possibly even the publishers of the advertisement). The case would simply be about whether the ??? discrimination act has been breached.

No one will sue. Aviation is littered with hot heads threatening this and that and nothing ever comes of it.
PKB, I am not trying to stir up any hotheads here. But employment legislation is a very active sector for the legal profession and I do not see why Aviation should be exempt. What should be remembered is that "equality" is all about finding the best person for the job. It is in employer's interests to treat all people equally regardless of race, colour, creed, sexual persuasion and, (imminently), age.

The industry's resistance to employing older pilots is archaic, unfounded, entrenched and unfair. It needs to be challenged, but until such time as the new age discrimination legislation becomes Law, there has been no instrument with which to do it.

ACAS has some very useful guidance on equality policies which many airlines could do well to adopt. But in fact, many employment related legal cases which are brought by individuals, are supported or even funded by their unions.

I'm not a Lawyer either and as I said earlier, I would be interested to hear what the Union Reps have to say about this. (and lawyers too!!)

Regards,

LD Max

Last edited by LD Max; 25th Apr 2006 at 20:14.