PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe MAPS
Thread: Flybe MAPS
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2006, 16:33
A38lephant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope... indirect discrimination covers training for employment too - especially when an offer of a contract is dependant upon participation in a specific training scheme.

LD MAX, Were you referring to

"Stop unjustified age discrimination in employment and work-related training :
Employers will have to make sure that any redundancy policies don’t directly discriminate against older workers. They should also not discriminate indirectly – for example, by selecting only part-time workers for redundancy, when a large number of these may be older workers. The only exceptions will be where an age requirement can be objectively justified."

The point I was trying to get across (sorry i was in a rush earlier and not very clear) was that you are neither offered employment until you complete the scheme and, even if you complete the scheme you still may not be offered employment.
You are offered a place on a specific training scheme, (not employment)which increases your chances of an offer of a job.
Hence you will not be "employed" nor an "employee" until there is a job offer made and accepted. This would make this wording difficult to enforce for schemes such as Flybe/CTC.
My interpretation would be that "work related training" refers to those already employed - i.e not selecting a person because they are older for further type rating training. Being neither a lawyer nor a pilot I'm only giving my interpretation. Its an interesting debate though!