PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to the Sky, The End? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2006, 20:26
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, lovely statement which says absolutely nothing. Incidentally, who is the statement from?

I've just been looking through the TVOC website again. I'd love to know why it requires in excess of ten "Trustees" to run this project, and although they all seem happy to describe their past achievements, there doesn't seem to be one word to describe precisely what their role is within TVOC. Even more interesting is that the engineers who actually do the work, don't receive the same amount of coverage.

In particular, I'm amazed that the mysterious Dr Pleming appears to be the "Boss" in this programme and yet there isn't even the slightest indication of what he does, and how much time he is obliged to devote to the project. Even more intersting is that there's not a single word about how much he (and others) are paid for their efforts. What exactly does he do? Where is he? Why does he never manage to say much?

Frankly, given that the project is all about (as the website claims) "our" aircraft, then I think we're entitled to rather more information as to how both the fund-raising cash and Lottery money is being spent. I'm not the first person to raise this point, and whilst we would all be content to see that funds are being spent on necessary work, on on the wages/expenses of the people who are actually doing the restoration, there's no excuse for not being completely open about this matter. If this project really is a national concern, then the website needs a verified Accounts section.

The latest press release is presumably designed to "scare" people into making yet more donations, on the assumption that if they don't, the aircraft will never fly. If the reason for this plea is due to miscalculations of cash flow (as TVOC claim) then it's time we were shown the accounts so we can see exactly what is going on. On the other hand, if it is just a cynical attempt to gather more cash, one hopes that their attempt doesn't backfire and prompt the more "defeatest" donors to ask for their money back.

I still hope the project succeeds, but the more I read and hear, the less confident I am about the way in which the project is being handled.