PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 & R44 blade delamination
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2006, 01:40
bellfest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imabell
Anyone who has had anything to do with R22's in a working environment (which I'm sure you have) knows what disc loading they are capable of.
If there is some type of fault with the glue or the bonding process at manufacture a flying school would be the perfect place to test it out. Doing autos all the time the machine would be subject to the most demanding aspect in that area (High coning angle/low RRPM).
There is overspeed limits, MTOW limits but there is no coning angle limit at the bottom of an auto. I would guess that it is assumed that if you exceed the coning angle limit your attention would be more focused on the bent skids and wrinkled firewall.
As far as lifting too much goes I would tend to think that is a load of crap. An R22 won't get off the ground if its AUW is causing excessive coning. They would be subject to such things anyway in the form of G loading in certain manouvers.
Though other aircraft do debond/delaminate/come unstuck/unglue/f*%$#n break in that area they appear to have a bit more reliance when it comes to the integrity of the blade. ie B47.
I am sure that you would agree that the R22 is a sensational machine but these things do turn up on them from time to time and I would be more enclined to think that this is some type of manufacturing anomally. I hope for your sake Frank sees it that way.