PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 & R44 blade delamination
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2006, 22:46
imabell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slow rotor, the doubler has delaminated it is not a crack it is a delamination.

i have all the facts, i have all the proper information, this is not hearsay i have seen the blade.

bushbandit, i don't know how much load you guys put on blades and machines but i have seen film of some obviously heavy loads slingshotted of mountains and carried out by some mountain pilots in new zealand.

i would have to be reasonably sure that testing of the loads to breaking point of any helicopter rotor blade would be at least to double the weight of the machine. i am reasonably sure that any manufacturer would not manufacture blades that are rated to within a couple of kilos over max gross. the margin for safety has to be large or you would not have the confidence to fly. i am sure even in the new zealand alps your robbies cannot lift enough to break a blade. (i have flown there).

there are repair allowances for the doublers on 47's and jet rangers by cutting the doubler back beyond the debonded section and feathered back to the blade skin. this is what robinson is now looking at trying (experimenting).

twinhueyman, i'm with you, if the engineer says it's ok, just keep an eye on it i'll go flying. the problem here is nobody is saying anything and the engineers are grounding helicopters.