PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9 survive Caravan C208B crash landing in N. Tanzania
Old 20th Apr 2006, 15:23
thrustucantrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr27,
I spent 17 yrs in east africa, 11 as apilot, flying in every corner and condition of the region. You are correct, that is why i am now in scotland. It is safer in Glasgow on a saturday night than behind a PT6 maintained in africa.

Kesho I still believe "welldone" is innappropiate . Well done for not dying maybe, but not well done for being in the situation. I am fully aware of the pressures palced on young hr building pilots and dodgy operaters, but too many risks are taken voluntarily in that region in the misguided belief that they are bullet proof and the rest of the world namby pamby about aviation.Bush pilots are the best etc etc.. I know, been there ate the posho seen the film. I had a colleague about 16 years ago who flew straight into Mount kenya. He was such a good pilot. So why is he and his pasenger dead. It wasnt mecanical or bad wx related, it was another example of the invincible subculture that is obviously still allowed to prosper in a de facto unregulated FIR (s). I must be getting old because I look at my videos screaming to the Mara looking up at the Tommys gazelles making masai dive for cover, or scud running to nyeri and I think ..."silly Tw@t". Not for my own safety but i wasnt given a mandate to endanger other people with my ego. Poacher turned game keeper , so i know what i'm talking about.
Looking forward to a discussion on the matter and not the usual mudslinging allround defence adopted after criticism