PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling
Thread: Stalling
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2006, 16:09
Alogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having flying lessons at the moment so this thread makes interesting reading. I've had just over 6 hours and did my first stalls last lesson. I first watched, and then flew into and recovered myself from stalls with "clean" and "full flap" configurations in a C152. These stalls were all with the wings level and power off. I was taught to recognise the stall, and lower the nose below the horizon once it occurred, applying full power at the same time and levelling off once the airspeed had recovered to 60 knots. The height loss using this method was about 200 feet with both aircraft configurations. This method of stall recovery seems to be broadly correct, but some posts on this thread have advised doing things differently (i.e. not lowering the nose below the horizon, not applying full power at the same time).

Although there are some seemingly contradicting arguments in this thread, can I take it that the general principles for stall recovery are:

1) Move the nose down (using elevator) to an unstalled attitude (which can be recognised by loss of buffet), but not any lower (in order to minimise altitude loss)

2) Apply power smoothly once attitude is lowered and buffet removed (or is it apply power smoothly and simultaneously with lowering of nose?)

3) Use rudder to prevent yaw during above actions (but not to correct any wing-drop)

4) Once wings unstalled and airspeed sufficient, use ailerons to align aircraft with horizon (if wings not already level)

Is this correct? Having read about accidents caused by picking up a dropped wing with rudder long before I started lessons, I have never used rudder to pick up a dropped wing, even though I am aware that roll is the secondary effect of rudder (instead using the ailerons). However, I am also aware that using ailerons in or close to the stall in an attempt to pick up a dropped wing can actually make that wing drop further by stalling it (due to the increased attitude of the lowered wing with the "down" aileron).

So I take it that you don't use either rudder or ailerons therefore to pick up a dropped wing in a stall, and instead ignore a dropped wing (or any increasing wing drop?) until the stall recovery is complete, when aileron can be used to pick it up?

Any comment and correction would be appreciated.