PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet (merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2006, 13:31
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As has been mentioned, the issue with cadets leaving doesn't reflect badly on CTC, quite the opposite as I imagine the gents down at Dibden are quietly pleased their 'product' is being snapped up by BA - albeit via a different route than they perhaps envisaged when starting the scheme.

The bottom line is none of us regard Easy as a career airline, not when faced with 40 plus years (in the case of an ex-cadet) of the current roster pattern, annual leave and pension scheme. It might sound like an ungrateful moan and it is to an extent but once training ends and the job begins you start to look at things a bit differently from the days when you simply aspired to sit in the RHS. BA is seen as somewhere you could work AND have a semblence of a life long term - grass is always greener and all that.

I think part of the problem is that the scheme was introduced at a time when jobs were scarce and easy will have arranged their cadet terms and conditions accordingly with the attitude that cadets would be grateful of the opportunity afforded to them and would have little opportunity to look elsewhere for employment. These days, recruitment wise, times are good and it is natural (to an extent) that at the moment there is a lot of movement to airlines such as BA. History suggests a downturn will arrive at some point in the future and when it does you can bet BA and others will stop recruiting us sprogs and all of a sudden easy will have very little trouble in retaining low hour new entrants.

There is a strong demand for new entrants at easy - rumours abound that recruitment days and interview sessions are constantly undersubscribed and current pilots are still leaving. Plenty of captains flying with captains at my base which goes down like a turd encased in concrete. The exact numbers I don't think anyone can be sure of but new aircraft keep arriving