PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling
Thread: Stalling
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2006, 06:31
HappyJack260

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling is caused by stick position (via pitching aerofoil up too high relative to airflow). You can demonstrate this by bringing the stick back abruptly, or slowly, at higher speeds, or at low speeds, upright or vertical, level or banked. In all cases the stall will occur at the same stick position (assuming W&B remains constant). Once you know where that stalling point is, it's a simple matter to ensure that (a) you keep the stick forward of it, whilst in the air and (b) if you bring the stick aft of it and cause a stall, you move the stick forward through it to get out of the stall. In the case of inverted flight, for forward read aft, and vice-versa.

But once you're out of the stall, you may be going too slowly to maintain height, so you need power to stay airborne.

Rudder helps keep you balanced and prevents the stall turning into a spin. An interesting exercise is to put the aircraft into a fully stalled position, power off, and then use alternate rudder to keep the ball centred and the aircraft upright - sometimes referred to as a "falling leaf", or a "rudder walk". You'll be losing height the whole time, and you'll be stalled the whole time, but you won't be in a spin.

This sort of practice helped me once when I had an EFATO about 100' off the runway, in a Marchetti SF260 with nowhere to go ahead, and had to crank around 60 degrees to get down on the airfield in one piece, albeitwith a firm arrival, gear up, followed by hospitalisation for both me and the aircraft. Someone killed himself a couple of weeks ago in an EFATO at the same airfield in a Lancair 360.

Avoiding a stall is a good idea; recovering from it will always require stick movement, but in an engine-out situation, or in a glider, or in the Spitfire doing a go-around at Goodwood a few years ago, adding full power is not the first thing to do, and may not be an option.