PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aptitude tests & Pilapt - Merged
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2006, 11:47
bjkeates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by king rooney
In my opinion, anyone who feels a need to practice the pilapt tests in order to pass them is a charlatan. The whole point of the tests is to give a fair, unbiased reflection of someones aptitude for flying, taking into account the fact that it is the first time that someone has done it. If you practice before hand what do you achieve?
I agree. While I understand that people will do anything to help them fulfil their dreams, and admittedly there's nothing stopping people from forking out the money and practising these tests, you are giving yourselves an unfair advantage and, like King Rooney says, are deceiving yourself as to whether you're cut out for it. CTC pointed out at my stage 4 day that the hard work doesn't stop once you've finished the application - it's actually where the hard work starts. Deceiving yourself is only leaving yourself open to disappointment and possible financial distress later on, whoever you train with. Your ability to fly isn't going to be based on PILAPT tests alone, so if you haven't "got it", in the case of CTC it's going to show up at stages 3 and 4 anyway. You might be able to pass the PILAPTs with a bit of practice, but if you haven't got the natural ability and aptitude to learn to fly - which, after all, is what PILAPT is testing - then it's going to show up pretty obviously in the simulator ride. In terms of the amount of information you have to keep scanning, checking and reacting to all at once, the PILAPTs and the sim ride aren't too dissimilar. And on a similar note, if you think spending hours in front of MS Flight Simulator is going to prepare you for stage 4, or any sim check for that matter - forget it.

Seriously, if you're cut out for the job, you will pass the tests. I did without practising, and I've got on to the course. If you don't have the aptitude you're being tested for, then you will be weeded out later on in the selection and you'll have wasted all the time and expense of the repeated trips to the Southampton and Bournemouth. Be under no illusions as to how tough the whole selection procedure is, not just stage 2.

Having said all that, very best of luck with it - it's a great course.

EDIT: Just like to add this:
Originally Posted by king rooney
They are easy man! If you cant pass them then you are not cut out to be a pilot, simple as that.
No they are NOT easy - far from it in fact. Some people may find them easier than others, but they are by no means "easy", and quite rightly so. And demonstrating that kind of attitude shows exactly why some people are able to pass the PILAPTs but still aren't cut out for the job.

Last edited by bjkeates; 15th Apr 2006 at 12:25. Reason: Wanted to add a little bit