PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa Or The IPA which is better?
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2006, 09:55
SLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xrba, you're free to think whatever you like about BALPA and the way it handled the BA/Dan-Air takeover, and I'll respect you for your point of view. But the fact remains that it was 14 years ago - a long time! I don't believe, and most people seem to agree, that if a similar situation were to arise today, that the same thing would or even could happen. My point is that there's an awful lot of rubbish spouted by the anti-BALPA brigade about it - most of which I suspect has no basis in fact. Indeed, as the years go by, I would imagine that the stoies become even further from the truth. Were you there?? I wasn't! I've never come across an industry like this one for rumours - that's why this board is here!! I've had stories related to me as fact by someone in the bar, and they've been distorted beyond belief. I know cos I was there for the real incident! And when you try and put the story straight you get shouted down. Ah well - never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh!!!
I've yet to meet someone who was actually there for Dan-Air - I'd like to because then the facts might come out. But I think that to ask new pilots (even pilots who've been in nearly 10 years like me) to hold BALPA accountable for something that happened 14 years ago is bit much. I said it in my previous post - we're looking forward, not back.

BALPA's changed both in rules and personnel, and labour law has changed too. Carry on believing whatever you want - but I'm more concerned about what's happening in the UK industry today, in the future and most importantly in my own company than by something that happened all those years ago. Am I self-interested?? Maybe, but no one's going to give us anything for free. BALPA's been such a force for good in my company that I shudder to think what would have happened if we didn't have them. No one should kid themselves as to what management would force us all into if we didn't have such strong representation. I can't think of any alternative to BALPA that would have acheived so much. We might not all agree with what the CC do, but again, it's that "best all-round " solution again.

People are free to make whatever decision about BALPA/IPA/whoever they want. But I do believe that that decision should be based on facts, not bar stories.