PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa Or The IPA which is better?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2006, 21:31
speedbird800

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I beg to differ

Lets put the Dan Air issue to one side for a moment. Lets talk about the cost of Joining Balpa to the cost of Joining the IPA/IPF. Why do pilots need to pay one percent of their Salary for Membership?

I can't think of any reason why the pilots need to pay 1% With regards to the IPA/IPF it is only £11.00 per month if you want to pay extra you can to top up your benefits.

This was not started as a war between Balpa and the IPA/IPF. It's about Value for money. In the industry that we all work in over the last 10 years in Europe prices in this industry have be driven down. So why are Balpa still Charging 1% of your Salary.

Lets put it in another prospective. Some of you have been paying into your pensions for the last 10-20 years. How much is your pension worth now. Surely you should be saving as much money as possible. Surely being a member of the union is to look after you in every way including keeping the amount of money you pay in subs. 1% is far to much. Some of that money should be kept in your own bank accounts. Surely 1% means that you are paying way over the odds. If you were getting great pay deals year on year and great rostering agreements year on year, then I would say at least you can justify it. However your not. What you getting is a frenzy of people saying if it happens..... . Lets face it, if it does happen, all the membership of Balpa have paid well over the top. Unions Like, Cabin Crew 89, Amicus, Transport and General workers and unison, don't charge this much and in certain cases they have taken on legal issues that cost millions. Amicus have won over £54,000,000 in previous years in compo claims and legal claims for its members. All for £9.20 a month. So come balpa members you tell me What have you really got for your 1%. Has your pension got better. Has easyjet got a loyalty bonus? No they haven't. Before Balpa got involved they had one. When Balpa got involved they lost it!

In the worlds of the old A'level exams which I hated at the end of every question.....

Discus!