PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa Or The IPA which is better?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2006, 20:12
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since entering commercial aviation 10 years ago from a military background, I have come across a significant number of pilots who loathe BALPA with undying hatred - all entirely due to their experiences at Dan Air. These people have been extremely successful in robbing BALPA of its reputation and credibility among would-be members with tales of incompetence, indifference and corruption. There is no doubt that BALPA now deeply regret all that happened at with Dan Air and their part in the subsequent debacle. It was a true low point in the history of the trade union movement within aviation and did enormous damage to BALPA's reputation in particular. Nonetheless, like all situations where wrong occured in the past we have a choice. We can hold onto and nurse our deepest prejudices or we can let go and look to the future. As a Scotsman, for example, I am constantly dismayed to hear of my fellow countrymen still going on about the horror of Culloden (1745) or the Irish reliving the injustices of the Potato Famine (1869). We have a choice - my choice is to move on.

I also choose to believe that despite the undoubted failings of BALPA over Dan Air, they are an excellent organisation who right now offer the only credible counter to unscrupulous management. I personally know and respect a number of member of the IPA/IPF, but as an organisation they really only represent individuals and at present have no ability to represent a company's pilots en-masse. If you have an ongoing dispute with your company as a body of pilots then the only place to turn is BALPA. The IPA/IPF, through no fault of their own, have little real experience at dealing with the high pressure situatons that can arise during the cut and thrust of mass company negotiations where both members and management are at your throat. BALPA have years of experience of dealing with this and I am increasingly grateful for their steady hand in times of crisis.