PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Empowered Master post disappears.
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2006, 07:37
Sponge Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was not a proper empowered Master post anyway. The concept, driven by the results of the AASS, was that SELECTED individuals would be posted in to fill SO3 or FOFL posts, not only on Sqns but also at HQs and the like. Whilst I do not fully agree with the complete removal of the career opportunities associated with this decision, I do believe that properly selected individuals could successfully fill the posts were they to be allowed to so. By that I mean that the empowered Masters should be treated as SO3s, which was the idea in the first place. After all, the personality involved is more important than the rank. I guess we all know of good/bad NCA leaders -not wishing to hi jack this thread!!!
In my opinion, the empowerment principle has been fudged in concept, certainly on SH. Flight Masters are doing what they have always been employed to do, look after tha NCA on their Flight. A Master selected to fulfil the Leader post should do just that and work for the Sqn 2ic and be an independent voice direct to the Sqn Cdr regarding NCA issues. In turn the Sqn Cdr would be wise to then use any advice given, mindful of the environment in which it is presented.