PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A female, PPL training in Florida, HELP.
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2006, 20:06
Alvin Steele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having had nearly eleven years to ponder the US v UK PPL training conundrum (I learnt at #!* in 95) I've arrived at the conclusion that it really depends on the individual concerned, aside from the usual benefits of the US route....ie low cost, better weather, I found it was good to get away from it all and immerse myself in an aviation environment for 3 weeks, to be free from the pressures of family and friends....and work, for example, if I had a bad lesson out there I was able to put things right straight away rather than having an interruption for a few weeks (which would be likely here with iffy weather) and having to fester on the 'problem' till the next lesson.......when you would have to play 'catch-up' again to get to the point you were on the last flight.
Additionally, you might find loved ones would question whether it was worth all the trouble and expense, and at a low point in a UK PPL course you could lose heart or be coerced off flying by well meaning friends
......well thats what might have happened to me, so I was glad of the 3 weeks isolation.
Other people will be different.
I'm pleased to say that I've enjoyed both my UK and US flying in equal measure.
One final point, common sense or more accurately....airmanship is vital in any aviation pursuit, and that in my humble opinion cannot be taught.
Like I say, its the attitude of an individual that matters, not where they learnt to fly.
Tim