PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA CARGO
Thread: SIA CARGO
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2006, 01:00
ffodekcuf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SIA Cargo Information

To those with further questions re SQ Cargo, here are some home truths about the whole deal, I do not know where Bananas is coming from or who his friends are in rostering, but he seems to be the exception rather than the rule when it comes to not only hours flown, but also hours done more often than not in the back of an SQ777/744, to position for or after a COP.

1) The BOND!

For F/O's it is S$51000, which forms the bank gaurantee part of the deal, whilst the total bond including this amount is S$129000 for five years after your date of confirmation, the pro rata reduction begins only after TWO YEARS from this date. However be aware that there are charges to lodge this money with a local bank, and you get a grand total of 0.7% interest, which is less over the five years than the cost of the gaurantee in the first place. Also the money has devalued some what, and in little over a year, I have lost 14% of the value from the currency that I converted to pay the thing. You may lodge the gaurantee in Foreign Currency, but at a premium of 20% over the base amount, but you get the full amount you put in back. Generally the gaurantee is a lose lose situation!

2) The FLYING!

Below are my hours since Janurary 2005 :

I did 567hrs for 2005, averaging 47:15, and so far this year I have averaged 41:06, not great in terms of earning potential. The only leave I had in this period was in April. The August figures are true, 11:06, that is all the flying I did, the rest was 67 hours of positioning!! I am lead to believe that our productivity will increase but as yet have seen no evidence of it. PF and PNF sectors are pretty evenly spread, although Feb and Mar 06 have not been good months, I only did one PF sector in each, this however is unusual. (I am sorry, I tried to insert a spreadsheat with more valid information, but it will not come out as one, only a long line of figures).

Positioning in the cargo fleet is a fact of life, so be prepared for it and make the most of it, get yourself into a "zone" for each trip, and enjoy the great inflight entertainment and service, SQ's economy class is as good as a lot of other airlines business classes, so be positive about it and don't let it get you down. They try at all costs to put you in the front but if they are full then in the back you go. When you think of the annual bonus you get from the airline, it makes it a bit more bearable.

3) The TRAVEL BENEFITS!

Basically NONE! Cargo pilots get only one set of "homebase" tickets a year, i.e. only to your home town or nearest on the SQ network, we cannot take our families once a year to any other destination, so do not think of showing your kids some of the world whilst you are here! We are also allowed ID75 tickets but these are useless, as you can get much cheaper and CONFIRMED tickets on the net from other airlines and even SQ itself. So make sure you indicate when you sign up, where you want your homebase to be as once you are signed on it CANNOT be changed. As a matter of interest mainline guys get an annual free anywhere they want on the network, 4 ID90's, and unlimited ID85's per annum. Also be advised SQ have NO interline agreements of use to us, inlcuding with fellow members of the Star Alliance.

4) The ROSTERING!

So far the rosters this year have been very stable and uninterrupted, which is great, however expect disruptions over Xmas and Chinese New Year as flight schedules are often changed or cancelled. We do not have a formal bidding system per se, but rostering will accept requests, for a particular flight or COP, three months before you want it and they are usually very good at accomadating ones requests, as long as they are fairly reasonable ones. However be aware that the flights we get are the ones that remain after the mainline guys have had their crack at the decent ones.

5) The LIVING!

Rents in Singapore are generally reasonable, and there is a great range of accomadation availabe to suit all requirements. Food and booze are quiet expensive, but not excessive. Schooling is only paid for children resident in Singpaore, unlike the mainline guys whose kids fees are paid for wherever they are in the world. Utility costs etc have been discussd by other guys in this thread. Cell phones and charges are quiet expensive in world terms. Mainline guys get paid for transport to and from the airport,between certain hours, we do not, except for trips to the sim! So depending on where you live on the island, this can be quiet an expense in itself, living on the east coast puts you closer to the airport. On SQ ID75 tickets Capts can upgrade to business class but F/O's cannot! When all is said and done there are far worse places to be in the East than Singapore, speak to guys from Asiana and Vietnam airlines.

5) The TRAINING!

Like all airlines the sim training all depends on who you get for the course, I had a fantastic old guy who was a real gentleman, and taught us a great deal. Likewise the line training was generally great and relaxed for the most part, however for both be well prepared and know your stuff, it will make your life much easier, as with most things in life! Some guys like me have had a really good training experience, whilst others have had a less than pleasant time, it is just the luck of the draw, but from my experience most of the instructors and trainers are good guys and on your side.

The above in a nutshell is my experience so far, in 15 months with SIA Cargo, if you are aware of the things above and are prepared to put up with them then this is a good job overall. The aircraft are all new and well maintained, and there are some really good destinations as well. Be carefull when weighing up the pro's and con's, and once you have made your decision then live with it!

Good Luck!