PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay Structure (Oz Ag)
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2006, 20:46
Agwaggon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one can go around and around and around. The ATO has there criteria for the definition of a contractor. All the states have there's for the defining of a contractor for workers comp purposes. Also years ago the NSW goverment had there's in regard to payroll tax. None are the same!!
All of us both pilots and operators have twisted things around a bit on this one to suit ourselves at the time. And most of us are guilty of a bit of tunnel vision here as well.
OK lets have a hands up out there for any contract pilot who is truly a full contractor responsible for everything to do with the job and has to where the consequences (financially) of his actions.
All I saw then was bums dissapearing down burrows. (mine one of them)
The reality is guys, what we are are pilots working for an operator for a while on a contract rate. True or false? And that is the way both sides of the fence want it to be.
Mrs Maxspeed has advised her son well as I agree there is not a lot of difference in the short term in the income. The difference as we all know is what that tax does to that amount under the payg system, isn't it. And also the claimability of the genuine expenses for a contract pilot operating a company is a hell of a lot simpler.
I think this is an industry problem for both operators and pilots and I wish it could be attacked that way by the AAAA's. I certinantly don't like the division that appears to be occuring on this. It's a little scary actually.
One thing I'm sure of is, when ever I worked for any company as a contract pilot I was still WORKING FOR THAT COMPANY and for any operator to try and ditch a pilot as a contractor when some sh#t hits the fan is as weak as pi##.
Now what about the withholding of part of the persentage of the pilots income rate on contract guys that I'm hearing about??? I havn't ever been at the pointy end on this one but some mates of mine have and they are not happy campers.
And don't forget boys and girls the beautiful Agwaggon is the MG of the ag industry.