PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA CARGO
Thread: SIA CARGO
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2006, 19:03
BANANASBANANAS

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by readufive
2xbananas......how long before your interview did you receive your contract. I have not received anything yet. The interview is in late april.
Overall.....I guess your opinion of SIA cargo is positive....right? There are ofcourse pro´s and con´s with all jobs. Are you on local contract or expat-contract? Are there major differnces? It would be cool if you could write a bit more about your experiences.

Regarding the bond.....I must admit I am still a bit confused....."fishbad"
talks about traps and stuff 56k , 140k ......please elaborate. I have no problems with (decent) bonds......it is after all YOUrself, who eventually signs, i´n´it. All companys have them in one form or another......
I will try to answer the questions you ask but please remember that I am only speaking of my own experiences and giving my own opinions.

I received a copy of a "typical contract" about a week before the interview. The interview was arranged at fairly short notice and the time scale was approx as follows:

Early Mar 2005, Emailed my app form to SIA Cargo.
2 days later, return email inviting me for interview in about 2 weeks time. I replied immediately, accepting the interview. Immediate reply from SIA saying that interview was confirmed and letter confirming interview, sample contract and bond details would be posted that day. SIA pay for hotac but you pay for the airfare.

1 week later, letter containing all above info was received.
Another week later I attended interview and was told at the end of the sim that I had been successful subject to medical (done the next day) and satisfactory references. This was confirmed by email in a couple of days and I was advised that a hard copy containing "everything" was in the post.

1 week - 10 days later I received the hard copy (signed) formal offer of employment, contract, bonding details etc, conditional only on receiving satisfactory references from my current employer which I arranged and faxed through the same day. That was also the day I resigned.

3 months later I started work with SIA Cargo.

I have just completed my log book for March 2006 and I flew almost 58 hours and my only positioning sector was about 4 hours in first class from LAX to ORD. I will be back in SIN tomorrow and have 6 days OFF before starting 14 days holiday.

I am on an expat contract which provides for housing allowance and childrens education (up to age 18) if your children go to a Singapore school. Nil allowance for schools outside Singapore.

Bonding? OK I will try to explain it again using very small words.

The bond is Sing$142k and it decreases linearly over 5 years but the 5 years begins only AFTER you finish your conversion (and maybe probation - I will have to check).

Of that 142K you have to front up 56k when you join SIA Cargo. That 56K is held as a bank guarantee for the 5 years. If after 5 years you havent scarpered you get your 56k back + any interest accrued. Be aware that the banks charge for providing this service and the 5 years of charges are all paid at the beginning (in case you scarper - banks aint daft) so the 56k will probably cost you about 60k in all.

If you wish to commute and dont have any ID90 deals that you can hang onto from your previous employer it can be expensive as we only get ID75 and in most cases you can do better in a travel agents - and get a firm seat. We also only get 32 days annual leave but rostering appear to be very understanding and helpful and I have 22 days holiday in April for only 14 days of annual leave entitlement.

The housing allowance is adequate but you might have to top it up just a bit. I am told that the education allowance knocks a big hole in the school bills but doesn't cover them completely - depending on school etc.

The aeroplanes are great. The routes are great (provided you like long haul and up to 16 days away followed by 6-7 days Off) and the guys I have flown with have all been excellent. Fleet Office appears to be very user friendly as well.

Its not perfect, but it is everything it advertised itself to be and I have had no nasty surprises at all. Hope that helps.

Last edited by BANANASBANANAS; 1st Apr 2006 at 19:30.