PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Brits abroad: Why not come back to the UK?
Old 31st Mar 2006, 01:04
bluestack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that Mongoose, I have read your thread appreciatively and have also pointed others towards Jemax's post regarding what's involved..

I have no intention of remaining in the US after my J1 runs out (although would be good if it happened - not planning on it).

I have budgeted for my conversion on return (whenever that happens).

Without going into my specifics, Jemax had quit his job for a year - so will be liable to the same loss of earnings as myself.

I don't see the licence issue charges or exam fees levied by the CAA as a show-stopper given the costs the newbies are enduring already, I understand the need to get the legal and procedure right - it's just the per hour flying costs.

Even doing some hour building abroad, I can't see how it's as cheap here once you factor in loss of earnings and running expenses in UK. One months UK mortage gets me 4 months accomodation in Florida. (my mortgage incidentally is being paid by rental while I'm way).

I agree with your 4 points, and the respective costs, even though I still think it's cheaper overall, but probably not by much - but that's missing the point.

Myself like so many others starting out aren't planning on avoiding coming back - we're just not staying in the first place