PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ministers Media Release;Aviation Security Identification Card
Old 30th Mar 2006, 21:35
BD1959

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaunty
Just in.
All of the ASICs that have been processed are either with Qantas or in the Platinum Australia Post system and should be recieved by tomorrow.
In the event that YOU do not nor have not recieved yours AND THIS IS POSSIBLE, I am advised that you should carry on AS NORMAL.
Ermm.... when "normal" is that the new PPL has passed their test 8 weeks ago and CASA are holding back the issuing of the license pending ASIC, this is not possible!!
There is also a probablilty that some applications ARE being held up bthe security part of the process and that is something over which CASA nor any of the other issuers have any control.
Not necessarily true. I worked for a Govt Dept which also required AFP background checks performed (including ASIO clearance). There were strict Service Level Agreements in place whereby AFP had to turnaround the chcek within (IIRC) a month. The clearly has not been happening with ASICs. Could it be that in their haste to implement the process, someone forgot the basics of contractual agreements?
If you need any comfort read the Ministers Statement and pay particular attention to the para.
If you are checked, that is your insurance, direct from the Minister. Period.
I have made direct enquiries to the Ministers office and I personally am satisfied in this regard.
May I suggest that you carry the acknowledgement letter or some evidence that you have applied by the above deadline so that may be noted should any action be taken.
You can suggest it....but - like zeptiir - I have never received an acknowledgement letter from CASA that they received my application.
As I have said before in this thread dont dick with the system and stay calm until we get through this very trying time for all.
The CEO Bruce Byron assured me that CASA have put in an enormous effort with now over 10,000 applications processed and that he has been monitoring the results on a daily basis. They are taking this very seriously.
He suggests that the problem for them as far as the recent sudden volume of work concerned could be likened to having to turn a corner store into a supermarket virtually overnight.
That may no consolation but neither have we had to do this in Australia before.
Stay calm keep on flying and it will be all over shortly.
I again draw your attention to the FAQ link I described above if you are still confused about AVID V ASIC.
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/licence/questions.htm
With all due respects, it appears that it is CASA which is confused. From that webpage:
Are pilots still allowed to fly without an ASIC?
Yes. Pilots only need to have submitted an application for an AVID or an ASIC to operate an aircraft.
Yet CASA will not issue a new license if the pilot HAS submitted an application. as explained before: where the new license is a transition from GFPT to PPL this in effect means that CASA are not allowing newly qualified pilots to fly.
It continues to be very, very frustrating.
BD