PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Brits abroad: Why not come back to the UK?
Old 30th Mar 2006, 17:26
mongoose237

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've refrained from entering the debate so far because it is futile. JAA is a regular punchbag, but almost exclusively by those frustrated that it is preventing them from getting their JAA licences for half the cost. But what would you all do when you get back to Europe with your fresh shiny JAA CPLs? There certainly wouldn't be any work as an instructor, your own defection abroad for training will have made sure of that... So who is going to let you loose on a twin for charter work?

There are two problems with the JAA system, theory and price. The flying aspect is pretty much the same the world over. Price is largely dictated by economies of scale and fuel (which would get worse if you snatched away the training market), and the CAA. The theory is a pain, but it is preferable to not being thorough enough. When did you last have to recall who won the Battle of Agincourt? Or explain what is meant by atomic mass? Or describe the Holy Trinity? So I take it the current schooling curiculum for our children is ridiculous? Or maybe, just maybe, it makes a more rounded adult... I know that is not quite the same, but listen to yourselves - "Noooo! You're training us too thoroughly! I want minimum effort and only things that I think will be relevant!".

Now I have heard that the Japanese licencing authorities require applicants to hover incredibly accurately for a prolonged period of time. A useful way to spend your training time? When was the last time you heard criticism of this system? Reason: there is not a large number of pilots wanting to get into the Japanese market.

I think it is fair to say that the two most regular critics of the JAA system are those trained by CASA and the FAA.
Lets look at the two systems who have a mutual dislike of JAA - under one of the systems you can become an instructor almost straight after CPL. The other you must have (IIRC) 360 hours total time, and then a 40 hour course. So, are all you Australian Instructors superior to the FAA instructors, and therefore producing a better pilot? If yes, I would be interested to hear your justifications. If no, so how do you justify 400 hours for an new instructor? Should a guy with literally half the training that CASA requires be entitled to come to Australia and be granted an instructors ticket? Yes/No?

The market is very healthy in the UK at moment. Qualified instructors are in demand, with a minimum of £40/hour for a fresh, restricted instructor. Charter pilots with experience are needed. And the North Sea Operators are hiring.

I don't think the JAA system is perfect, far from it. But
1. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, and
2. I think people should actually have experienced the various systems before passing comment ... rather than using the term JAA as synonimous with British so as to perpetuate their own xenophobic beliefs that the UK is a nation of handlebar-moustached wing commanders and Basil Fawlty's who haven't quite come to terms with the decline of their Empire.

This topic is never discussed objectively, it is too emotive.