PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Philip stoyle, flyer magazine article. A319 type rating
Old 30th Mar 2006, 09:32
Splat

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi liverbird

Sticking my head above the parapet, I'm said person. Firstly to answer your question, yes it did and this summer I'll have been flying for a living for a couple of years.

Please don't PM me with questions etc., and I don't wish to be dragged into the paying for a TR debate, other than to say there are many people working in the industry who went down that route. Let me add that it's not going to open any doors per se, but you should consider it as another tool in your armoury to get a job. It will not do that on it's own. You'll need to do more (like write an article - didn't do it for me mind you), and get as many fingers in as many pies as you can. Persistence and being at the write place at the right time as well as making a bit of luck for yourself is what it's all about. The rating itself will not get you the job as many have found.

There are also lots of critics out there, those without jobs seem to be the most vocal. I was heavily criticised for what I did, but I'd still be looking for a job now if I'd not done it.

The article I wrote originally because I wanted to write down what to expect out of a TR. I'd spoken to many people and most had forgotten what I wanted to know. It was written in September 2003, just after I completed the rating, and published in April. I did add my name to it with contact details as I was very much looking to make more connections. It did do that in some respects. As I said above, it's all about opening up as many avenues, even if they end up as dead ends. It still amuses me that I had to go out and buy my own copy with the article!

Oh yes, age - I was 45 last January. There are two sides to age, with some companies it's OK some it's not. From a personal point of view, the thing that I find the hardest is just learning and taking in all the new things. Sadly, I suspect that older people are in reality harder to train.

Good luck to all trying to get a job. Is it worth it in ther end - you bet, but look at the downside too.

Cheers

Splat