PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A female, PPL training in Florida, HELP.
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 18:34
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phew!!!!!!!

How can where to learn to fly provoke such strong reactions? I'm sure it says something about he people writing, but I'm damned if I know what!

One thing that no-one seems to have pointed out...

An intensive course far from home, whatever country it's in, is something separate from everyday life. It suits some people and not others. I did both my CPL and FI course like that, because I had to. I loathed it. I would NEVER do an intensive course if I had the chance of doing something more slowly.

Learning more slowly with lessons once or twice a week becomes a part of your life. It gives you something to look forward to. How long it takes and exactly what it costs may be less important than the fact that you enjoy the journey as much as the goal, and have something to look forward to every week. I did both my PPL(A) and PPL(H) like this; it took lots of hours and time and money, but with hindsight, I wouldn't have done it differently.

Anyone planning to do an intensive course, anywhere, needs to decide if that is the right way for them to learn. For me it isn't. I did an intensive diving course too, and I didn't like that any better. I've finally learnt - no more intensive courses for me!

So think about your own style and preferences of learning as much as the country and weather before swanning off to the US for four weeks. It could be the best decision you ever made....or the worst. And no-one but you knows which it will be.