PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANYONE NEED A NEW ROOF?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 14:29
airborne_artist
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Niknak
Two points -a) the wokkas were there first - and b) by her own account it's a very old house. The latter is important - old houses need repairs far more frequently, and indeed most old houses are in a poor state of repair, particularly on a change of ownership.

Having spent quite a bit of time looking after old houses (though I'm not a surveyor) I can assure you that wind, rain, frost and ground movement will do far more damage than a wokka at 200', if they are at 200' at all. (Most complainants halve the real altitude of an aircraft). The lady is not cash rich, we know, and it's my guess that she and previous owners have skimped on repairs to a house that could easily cost £100,000 to get it back to a sound condition.

The amount paid out to her is very small in the overall scheme, but people who read about it and comment here are naturally a bit peeved at how easy it is to get £6,000 out of MoD, when they can't get money paid out for out of pocket costs incurred OHMS.

----------------------------------

Its a shame that the MOD doesn't include a comprehensive module within the Officer training programme
FWIW my last substantive rank was Corporal - so can I carry on now please, Sir?