PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A female, PPL training in Florida, HELP.
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2006, 13:54
A Sayers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"You become a better pilot by building on your experiences post PPL GFT/Skills test.

Paris dakar.
I am delighted you are an above average pilot who is able to adopt easily. My experience is that most American trained pilots take a considerable time converting to the UK. The time difference is probably about the same as if they had spent longer learning to fly and accepting the adverse weather. They have certainly spent much less time having weather sytems/prediction explained.

I believe that UK students become "better pilots" by building on their experiences during their training rather than waiting until after they have gained a PPL. Obviously they should continue to build up their kitbag of techniques/knowledge post PPL as well. I do not see how they can learn as much about flying in the UK while flogging around Texas VOR to VOR (or dare I mention GPS) as a student training in their home conditions.

A pilot with x hours who has trained in the UK will have a bigger store of experience than the same pilot, with the same hours if they have largely been spent in a good climate abroad.

If part of the goal is to spend time abroad while learning, and if you intend doing a continous course then there are arguments in favour of going to the states.