PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A female, PPL training in Florida, HELP.
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2006, 21:20
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my IR in the USA and met a number of people doing their PPLs out there. It's damn nice to be able to fly 360 days a year (this was Arizona), when in the UK it took me 1 year to do my PPL; at one time booking every day 7 days/week for 3 months and flying just 3 times. A PPL out there would be 1 month's stay; not a holiday but pleasant.

However, let me make a wider observation.

Flying isn't a dirt-cheap hobby - much as a lot of people are trying really really hard (admirably so) to hang in there on what I would call unrealistically small budgets. Flying just a few hours a year, not enough for any currency, and perhaps just enough for a little bit on very nice sunny days. Soon, most of them pack it in.

So, if the prime motivation of going to the USA is to save money, going to the USA is probably a strong indication of someone who won't be flying much (or at all) afterwards.

I know a number of 200-500 hour/year IR pilots who did their PPL/IR in the USA, never touching the UK training machine with a bargepole. For them it was a very good way to do it.

But I have met a lot more PPLs who did their PPL in the USA for a few k (it's rather more now; fuel isn't as cheap as it used to be) and most of them have long ago given up flying - they can't afford it.

Having said all that, the goal of getting a PPL and doing nothing more is a very common one. Many new PPLs never fly again - the motivation is gone. In that case, doing it in the USA is a very sound option.