PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be Careful What You Wish For.
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2006, 04:51
Gillegan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tartan guy
In the global scheme of things, you get what you are worth and not how long you've been there. TG
Tartan Guy,
You should know better. Worth is a fluid concept at best that means different things to different people. Your worth is established by the market place. Right now, Emirates traditional sources of pilots has dried up (at least for the package they are offering). They have resorted to some non-traditional sources (for EK) with mixed results and are now fishing in the U.S. (we'll see how that works out).

I think what burns A330 Man and others is that EK have used the carrot of the quick command to entice people to come. I understand that even now, potential recruits are being told that it's 3 years to a command. Now while it is true that there are no guarantees, and they have always left open the possibility of DEC's, they have also given guys the wink and the nod (and more) regarding their commands. They know what they are doing and it is not honorable. Some may be willing to let them off the hook because it is a business but personally I call it a lack of integrity. They have moved the goal posts at their whim with little or no regard to the things that people were told to get them to come here. At the time, A330 Man was worth the promise (nod, nod, wink wink) of a quick command. Now they have reneged on that promise.

I personally can't see a continuation of the 3 year upgrades for guys joining now due to the projected growth over the next few years (we are more than half way there) and due to the large numbers of DEC's. There really is no need for the situation that we are in. There is not one airplane that has come this year or that is coming in the next year that we didn't know about 4 years ago. Some people screwed up and now, we have some FO's who are being expected to shoulder the consequences. Personally, I don't know how A330 Man keeps such a good attitude given what he was told.

Last edited by Gillegan; 28th Mar 2006 at 05:33.