PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automatic TCAS Resolutions for Airbus
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2006, 08:47
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waste of time imho.

You could debate the pros and cons at length.

My brief take on it would be: No way with the current state of the art. TCAS performance inhibitions are approximate only; it is entirely possible to have an impossible RA commanded. Its not just as simple as take the RA as a commanded vertical speed and plumb that into the APs pitch channel.

Could it be developed? Yes, I don't see why not.

But I still think its a waste of time. You can still punch the AP disconnect and do your own thing, so whats the point?

This just says "don't make any effort to have a robust set of SOPs, train you crews, and employ people capable of hand flying an RA (and we're not talking aerobatics here!), just throw some money at a technological solution instead".

Aren't you forced by the law to follow a TCAS RA anyway?
Ultimately, no.

I am not a fan of over-automation but Ueberlingen would probably not have happened with TCAS connected to the auto-pilot.
Sorry, I disagree. IIRC the Tupolev crew believed ATC instructions had priority. What makes you think they wouldn't have just disconnected the AP and descended? I'd go for 'might not' but not 'probably not'.

Ueberlingen should not have happened - similar incidents happened in the USA in the early days of TCAS, including ones where only the presence of a bit of horizontal separation prevented a collision. The lesson "don't manouevre opposite an RA" was well and truly learnt and available to the worldwide community to implement in SOP. But it didn't happen, and folks died as a result.

The issue here is one of FAILING to provide robust SOP and rigorous training, rather than lack of technology.

CPB