PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 26th Mar 2006, 19:49
cruisercruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9M-
Well not much charter flying for light aircraft in malaysia from what i know. Bush flying erm also not much that i can think of. Maybe in australia u have more of that. Well it is legal to fly for other company as long as u tie down with the flying clubs u r working for.

Well depends on what u want. U can buy the hours and burn a hugh hole in your pocket and clock 1500hrs then go into an airline. But is it really worth the money ? What if u dont get into an airline? what r u going to do ? Actually i only got a few advise for people who are interested in a career in flying.

1) Try to get into the SIA cadet pilot scheme.
2) Join Airforce
3) If unable to, (Very RICH) Go to Massey Uni and get the degree + License
4) (Not Very Rich) Be an Instructor and slowly build up your hours then go for license upgrade.
5) (Very Poor) Find a job work for few years and earn enough money then be an instructor.

The above 5 ways are the only route for singaporeans that i can think of since 4 years ago till now for prospective pilot wanabee. good luck !
Thanks again 9M-, this thread's been very informative so far thanks to you more experienced guys. I've tried the first 2 options and is too poor to go for 3). I think 4) is already out of question since you guys have mentioned that Malaysia DCA rules are soon to change to stop instructor-rated PPL holders from instructing.

Currently in the process of doing 5).

Well...another far-fetched option: Get a wife/husband of another nationality (UAE, Hong Konger, Malaysian etc) convert nationality and apply for the respective airlines! Sounds absurd but read from another thread in pprune that a foreigner with a singaporean wife is trying to get his PRship to apply for SQ.

Great info shared to date!