PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 26th Mar 2006, 16:43
9M-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruisercruiser
Hi 9M-,

Seems like a great way to clock hours without having to burn a huge hole in the pocket. A few questions:

When you are officially an instructor with the flying club you are currently with, is it still legal to take up miscellaneous jobs like charter flying or other bush flying?

Do people usually "buy" their hours to attain the minimum required for, say a regional, in the event they are not able to get a job as an instructor ? From the way you calculated, it seems like a huge amount to pay from one's own pocket!

Cheers
Well not much charter flying for light aircraft in malaysia from what i know. Bush flying erm also not much that i can think of. Maybe in australia u have more of that. Well it is legal to fly for other company as long as u tie down with the flying clubs u r working for.

Well depends on what u want. U can buy the hours and burn a hugh hole in your pocket and clock 1500hrs then go into an airline. But is it really worth the money ? What if u dont get into an airline? what r u going to do ? Actually i only got a few advise for people who are interested in a career in flying.

1) Try to get into the SIA cadet pilot scheme.
2) Join Airforce
3) If unable to, (Very RICH) Go to Massey Uni and get the degree + License
4) (Not Very Rich) Be an Instructor and slowly build up your hours then go for license upgrade.
5) (Very Poor) Find a job work for few years and earn enough money then be an instructor.

The above 5 ways are the only route for singaporeans that i can think of since 4 years ago till now for prospective pilot wanabee. good luck !