PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash in Mexico City
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2006, 16:28
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BlenderPilot:
Yes the crew was son and the father, the son was the hired pilot for the helicopter, the father just wanted to along for the ride with his son on that day. I'm really sorry this happened to them, the son was a really good pilot, although young he had flown captain since he was barely 20 in Bell 430's, A109's and AS350's.
I think there is now evidence that the son was in fact *not* a "really good pilot."

Why is this? Why do we typically say such improbably complimentary things of post-accident pilots...as if this accident was some Act Of God or other unpredictable, random, serendipitous event? Let's face it, if he truly was a "really good pilot" then perhaps he...oh, I don't know...WOULD NOT HAVE CRASHED?

The pilot probably gave the appearance of being a "really good pilot." He probably had pretty good stick-skills and a fair knowledge of his craft...if not this particular aircraft. But being a "really good pilot" involves more than just playing the role, as if in a school play.

I feel badly that the young man had to crash his shiny, new Power. Thankfully, nobody died this time. Meaning, they got lucky. Blender, I understand your feelings of sympathy or Oscar. But don't let them cloud your objective judgement. If you or I crash due to us doing something stupid, then just let people say about us, "Wow, what a dumbass. I thought he was a better pilot than that. Well whaddya know."

Wait - I'm pretty sure there are those who say that about me now, and I haven't even crashed one yet.

Last edited by PPRUNE FAN#1; 29th Mar 2006 at 02:40.