PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Discussions
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2006, 06:02
watch your 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work Allocation....

A job,any job, is about earning wages to pay the bills and build a life style at home.
I have worked for an airline that has no seniority system and an allocated roster system...it sux big time.
No seniority ,no goal to obtain.Trips were still mainly crapp,no trip swapping/trading.
No bidding for holidays,they were allocated.
Believe me even with little choice it is better than no choice at all,which is what an allocated system is all about.
Sick leave increases enormously.
Those with children are screwed.
Its im possible to manage family life.
Still no guarantee of Christmas, birthdays,wedding or anniversaries off.
Now, you get a little of something.With allocated rosters you get nothing of nothing.
I don`t work for Qantas or any other airline.I had to leave the industry due to the allocated rostering system.
The bid system may not suit you now but it may in the future.
There a lot of senior crew who will leave in the next 2/3 years and Qantas is about to embark on some major network growth and make net gains in aircraft.
Remember it may not suit you now but it may in the future.
How many of you who are anti bid system/seniority will be here in 5years or ten years time.Probably none.
You will become the new visitors.
You are trying to destroy a system thatyou will only participate in for a short time.
The new IR laws will mean flight attendants will stay for 5 years and leave or become like American Airlines,where middle aged women whose children have left home do the job for some pocket money.
Lets have a conversation in 5 years about how you (Hawkeye et al)are surviving under a no seniority/allaocated work system.
Chances are,you won`t even be working for an airline.
You are foolish and naive to think that this change is a panacea for what you perceive to be shortcomings.
Flying is a job...nothing more nothing less.Just like any other occupation.
Unfortunately you guys are just as selfish as those you criticize.
You are rightly known as the "I/Me generation"concerned only with satisfying your own short term greed and need.

Last edited by watch your 6; 24th Mar 2006 at 07:00.