PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transformation in SA Aviation - going nowhere slowly (like this thread)
Old 22nd Mar 2006, 20:16
Flyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my take on this. Firstly, I am a pilot and I am a non-white. Afrivation I think that you really need to stop complaining. Are there some rascists white pilots out there - yes, I've encountered a few, but in my view you are rascist to. In my experience I have found that non-white are not as interested in aviation as other race groups. I talk of mainly well to do non-whites who got all the exposure that you say is missing. My view is that if you are interested in flying you will make an effort to find out more, that's what I did. I mean I started building model aircraft at the age of 7, buying aircraft magazines and such. Please don't bull dust me and say that apartheid prevented non-whites from buying magazines anyway this country has been 'free' for over ten years. I met an SAA Cadet once who told me that he actually was looking for the advert for air stewards but found the Cadet Pilot ad instead and applied there - is that the kind of thing you want? Your moaning about non-whites not getting jobs in charter is a fantasy. There are plenty of jobs if you are willing to start where everyone else starts at the bottom - thats doing the admin, pushing aricraft around and instructing - there are so few non-white instructors out there. You need to learn that normal people don't go from 200 hrs to an A340 overnight. The moment you force an aviation career down someones throat that's when people who don't deserve to wash a plane, start flying them! So if I where you I'd check that attitude at the door and start behaving like someone who deserves that blue or green license that appears to have been handed to you without much thought. Anyway correct me if I am wrong but white, indian and coloured people are South Africans too. Call me a coconut, banana, whatever fruit or vegetable you desire but you clearly have the wrong attitude for this calling, that's right it's not a job it's a calling! Wake up!